Evergreen Line: Fund the Gap, Build the Line
Petition In Support Of The Evergreen Line
To The House Of Commons In Parliament Assembled
- the Tri-Cities is one of the fastest growing regions in British Columbia;
- the Evergreen Line is expected to service over 70,000 passengers a day by 2021;
- it is projected that the Evergreen Line will create over 9,000 new construction jobs in our community;
- the Line will reduce green house gas emissions and other air contaminants from cars by 4.7 million tonnes cumulatively by 2020;
- the Evergreen Line has been plagued by delays since it was first proposed in 1993;
- the Evergreen Line has a $574 million funding shortfall;
- it has been nearly two years since any additional funding has been committed to the project; and
- completion of the Evergreen Line is dependent on closing this funding gap.
We, the undersigned residents of Canada, call on the Government of Canada to work with the Province of British Columbia to close the $574 million funding gap by providing full, public funding in order to ensure the Evergreen Line project completion by 2014.